Accessibility at Treworgey
Treworgey is a fantastic place to stay if you have specific needs, thanks to our fantastic, personal customer service. The information below will give you a guide to what we can do, but please CALL US if you have any thoughts or worries, as we can often accommodate even the most unusual special requirements!
Accessing Treworgey Farm:
Our closest station is Sandplace station which is on the branch line between Liskeard and Looe. It's about a mile's walk up the hill from there, or if you give us some warning we can probably pick you up.
Liskeard is the closest main line station. 3 1/2 hours from London Paddington. It's also possible to get direct trains from many other stations. Search via National Rail Enquiries.
The nearest airports to us are Newquay (45 mins), Exeter (1:30) and then Bristol (2:30). Car hire is available at these airports but prior arrangement is necessary at Newquay and Bristol.
Internationally, the nearest London airport is Heathrow, about 4 and a half hours by car.
Driving to Treworgey and in the surrounding area does require using our Cornish country lanes. These have high hedges and are often single lane roads. There are intermittent passing places, so if you meet another car, one of you has to reverse to one of these. The locals are always excellent at reversing and will usually back up for you. For directions to find us, see our 'Find us' page.
For those requiring wheelchair access or with limited mobility
Our cottages are extremely old buildings, many with original doorways and varying levels, and as such are unfortunately not all suitable for wheelchairs. However, depending on the nature of your disability, some of the cottages that were converted slightly more recently might be perfectly comfortable for you. Note that we have basic wheelchairs to lend on site. The following cottages are popular with our guests who are wheelchair users or have limited mobility:
Lois (sleeps 2)
Parking right outside, sufficiently wide doorways, all on one level, walk-in shower, grab rail in shower. Possible issues: from your carpark, there is a slightly sloping gravel drive to reach the lane and the rest of the site. Also, the shower has a lip, as does the entrance door.
Trelugas (sleeps 5)
Parking right outside, sufficiently wide doorways, almost all on one level - there are a few steps to get to the bedroom areas and to get into the cottage, for which we can provide bespoke ramps, grab rails in bathrooms, walk in shower. Possible issues: there is a short gravel approach from the car park to the cottage. There are some small individual steps in the cottage.
Well (sleeps 2)
Parking right outside, sufficiently wide doorways, almost all on one level - there are two steps to get to the bedroom area, grab rails in bathroom, walk-in shower. Possible issues: There are two steps to get to the bedroom and bathroom area, and the shower has a lip. There are also slightly protruding thresholds between rooms.
Secret Garden (sleeps 5)
Parking very close by, sufficiently wide doorways, almost all on one level - there are a few steps to get to the bedroom areas and to get into the cottage, for which we can provide bespoke ramps, grab rails in bathrooms, walk-in shower. Possible issues: the car park area is on a gentle gravel slope. There are some steps in the cottage and at entry as mentioned. The shower has a lip.
For sight impaired:
- We offer to walk you round the cottage and any other areas, talking through anything you might like to know
- We can talk through all the information on our website over the phone before you book
- We can provide any of our literature or info on the website in large text
- Guide dogs are welcomed (for no charge of course) with treats, bowls, towel and more on arrival.
For hearing impaired:
- Hearing dogs are welcomed (for no charge of course) with treats, bowls, towel and more on arrival.
For allergy sufferers:
- We provide luxury hypoallergenic bedding as standard
- If we know in advance that you are allergic to animals, we do an extra focus in our cleaning process on ensuring there will not be a dog hair to be found anywhere in your cottage. Several of our regular guests are allergic to dogs and are delighted to be able to stay with us trouble-free, despite the fact that we are dog-friendly.
- Other allergies, such as to certain cleaning products or washing powders, can be accommodated with no fuss.
- If you have special dietary requirements, we will ensure that your tea tray is suitable for you on arrival, and our on-site kitchen (Coombe Kitchen) can prepare meals to accommodate most dietary requirements (though the absence of traces cannot be guaranteed).
For children with disabilities or learning difficulties:
- Wherever possible, we make a big effort to include all children in our animal feeding sessions and clubs
- We offer riding, wherever possible, to all children who'd like to have a go
General Access Information for all Cottages
There are a number of items common to all cottages, which are listed here:
- Local Information folders – what to do, see and where it is
- Upstairs windows have locks for child-safety compliant with current regulations
- All have handrails on wall by baths
- Non-slip bath mats provided where needed
- Generally there are heated towel rails in bathrooms, some of which can be hot to the touch
- Freestanding or fixed bird tables/feeders in each cottage's private garden
- Non-feather (but feather-feel) pillows and duvets on all beds
- All cottages have movable furniture, wall pictures, lamps, ornaments and other curiosities that are unique to that individual cottage. For full details of what exactly is provided in your cottage, and to discuss your personal access needs please contact our office by telephone on +44 (0) 1503 262730 so that we can help in person.
- The individual nature of our luxurious holiday cottages is something that we take great pride in. Because of these unique qualities, it is impossible to fully highlight all aspect of access here, but please do contact us so that we can discuss your personal requirements with you. We are always happy to help wherever possible, to ensure that you have a pleasurable, comfortable and safe stay with us.
These are approximate measurements to give you a guide of the general features in most of our cottages. However please do contact us to discuss the specifics of your cottage as these measurements may vary from cottage to cottage as they have all been updated at different times and building regulations change from year to year.
Standard door width (internal) – 90cmx196cm
Standard kitchen worktop height – 92cm
Standard bathroom basin height – 80cm approx.
Standard WC seat height – 40cm
Access to Office
Access via gravel slightly sloped car park, then up sloping but even brick path. 1 step up to office and then step up over threshold into carpeted office through regular width door.
Unfortunately we do not currently provide adaptations for the hearing impaired or our materials in Braille. We can provide large print for most of our written material on request.
Access to Treworgey Playroom
Access via gravel slightly sloped car park, then up sloping but even brick path. Small step up over threshold through wide door into carpeted play room.
Wooden chairs and arm chairs
Ping pong and mini pool tables
Small child size bookshelves and table and chairs
Selection of toys, large and small
Access to Information Room
Access via gravel slightly sloped car park, then up sloping but even brick path. Small step up and then small step over threshold through double ‘French' doors.
Wooden floor boards with large doormat and wool rug
Enclosed log burning stove (high guard all around)
2 seater sofa
DVD library shelving, some of which is at standing height
Chest of drawers and chest, with leaflets and other information on top
Self-service freezer for guests to buy local produce (honesty box system)
PC with internet access in small room in right hand corner. Table, computer and chair here
Is available in the Information Room and all cottages. We are a long way from the exchange so our line speeds may be slow compared to what you are used to.
Access to Swimming Pool
Access via gravel, sloped car park, along short paved path through wide lockable gate.
The area around the pool is paved and there is a level lawn surrounding the paved area
In summer deck chairs, tables and sun loungers are put out daily on the lawn area
The heat pumps and all pool heating/cleaning mechanisms are in an enclosed, locked cupboard
The wooden summer house/changing room is accessed via double doors with a small step up over the threshold. There is a wooden floor inside, and the back part is divided into two changing cubicles with curtains. There is a chair inside each. In the front part of the summer house there is a box containing chair cushions and floats etc
Inside the summer house there is an emergency telephone
At the back of the summer house is a tile-floored WC (standard height) with small washbasin (free space underneath) with mirror above
Outside the pool area there is a dog tying-up hook (dogs are not allowed in the pool area)
Life belts are provided on the inside of the pool fence
Coombe Log Store (for Orchard Cottage)
This is the second door in the outbuilding on the left of the drive, opposite the left side of the farmhouse
Up two concrete steps to the door, concrete floor inside. Doorway is low, please mind your head
Stacks of logs and coal sacks piled around the edges – please help yourself with care
The nearest shop to Treworgey is in the village of Duloe (approx. 1.5 miles). This is a small community shop with basic supplies and excellent local produce with select opening hours and an occasional post office. In Dobwalls there is a Spar with extended opening hours (Approx 5 miles from both Treworgey and from Coombe) or in Looe there are a variety of shops (approx 3 miles). The nearest large supermarket is Morrison’s in Liskeard (approx 6 miles).
The nearest Doctors' surgery to Treworgey - is in Looe. (Three miles from Treworgey and two and a half miles from Coombe.)
The nearest hospital to Treworgey is in Liskeard (Six miles from Treworgey and Coombe). The nearest major A&E is in Plymouth (approx 18 miles from Treworgey).
Please note - If you would like a detailed access statement on an individual cottage, please contact us.
What our visitors have to say:
"Many visits to Treworgey over the last 30 years. Linda and Bevis have done so much here since the early years when they lived in the very small caravan, which was their home and booking office. It is always a pleasure to return and see the progress they have made. ANNE AND DAVID MUNNINGS
Back to top